Monday, September 24, 2012

Stressed spelled backward

is desserts.

Not that I'm stressed, exactly. But busy?

Between starting a new job...


(Ray Fires Up...that one's mine)

...attending a writer's conference...


(with lovely author Betsy St. Amant! buy her latest here)



...and watching the first season of Downton Abbey...


definitely.

Busy is close enough to stressed. Kind of like a cousin.

Which means that tonight, I'm sharing this glorious recipe.

Mixed Berry Crumble + Lavender Ice Cream


If you don't like sinning, look away from this picture. It will tempt you in ways never seen, nor felt, before.

And PS: it tastes just as good as it looks.


Adapted from something I Googled. Lacking on the specifics. Sorry...it's called work-brain.

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups fresh blackberries

  • 1 1/2 cups fresh raspberries

  • 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries

  • 4 tablespoons raw sugar

  • 2 cups whole-wheat (or all-purpose) flour

  • 2 cups rolled oats

  • 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar

  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

  • 1 1/2 cups butter (or earth balance, if you're "healthy" like me)

  • optional tasty add-in: chopped walnuts (to taste)

  • optional health add-in: up to 1/4 cup of ground flaxseed

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

  2. In a large bowl, gently toss together blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, and raw sugar; set aside.

  3. In a separate large bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg (and flax and walnuts, if you're adding). Cut in butter/earth balance until crumbly. Press half of mixture in the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan. Cover with berries. Sprinkle remaining crumble mixture over the berries.

  4. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until fruit is bubbly and topping is golden brown.

As for the lavender ice cream?

I bought mine here. Thanks, Henry's!

It would be good with this too, though. Specifically blueberry vanilla graham. Mmmm.

Bet you $10 your stress will fly out the window if you make/smell/consume this. Or at least I will bet you $10...just as soon as my first paycheck comes in.

1 comment

  1. OMG I can't wait to try this! PS I SUPER love how this is vegan/pretty healthy! I was prepared to have to vegan-ify/tweak the recipe but you did all the work for me. I'll totally add some dairy-free vanilla ice-cream to mine...I'm getting weak just thinking about it! Thanks for the recipe & thanks for keeping us posted on your life/awesome new job! I'm really enjoying seeing your work Karley...you are absolutely PERFECT for the position!

    xoxo michelle

    ReplyDelete

Karley with a K. Todos los derechos reservados. © Maira Gall.