Friday, December 6, 2013

That's the spirit

Despite the fact that my husband professes not to like Christmas music (excuse me, what?), we are officially getting in the Christmas spirit around these parts. Today especially, since it looks like this outside:




Texas is so crazy. Two days ago I was wearing flip flops. This morning I ran to the window, gasped, grabbed my camera, and felt the freeze all the way through my Ugg boots the second I stepped outside. It's the first time this season I feel justified in singing "Oh, the weather outside is frightful."

Also, Tom Thumb was a madhouse yesterday. Said a checkout guy who hails from Maryland (paraphrase): "How come all you Texans go nuts over a little bit of ice, but when a tornado comes y'all act like it's nothing?" 

Let's be honest. He makes a solid point. 

. . .

CHRISTMAS DESIGN ON A DIME

Inside the Kiker residence things are looking decidedly Christmas-y as well. Since this is our first holiday season to spend together (awh!), it was important to me to create a warm, homey atmosphere perfect for kicking back and sipping on cocoa in front of a blazing fire. (Actually, we don't have a fireplace. But you know what I mean.)

But there was just one problem. We're on a we-just-got-married budget. And Christmas decorations can get pricey! Which is why I'm proud to say that we only spent $17 dollars to get our apartment looking like this:



We're rocking a true "Charlie Brown Christmas tree"



I wish I could say that I achieved this look by taking a walk outside our apartment, gathering berries and pine cones, and creating my own garlands from popcorn and oranges. But really, my process was more like:


1. PICK THROUGH MOM'S REJECT DECORATIONS (she has A LOT)


2. RE-PURPOSE REJECTS BY ADDING FUN LITTLE EXTRAS (like faux pearl strands and/or fresh ribbon)

Old tree in the works
Revamped!

Crumply old bow
Cute new leopard bow

3. PUT BEADS, NECKLACES AND BERRIES...EVERYWHERE






4. MAKE STUFF

Pinterest wreath


Mini paintings accent our bookshelf


Hand-painted and glittered ornaments



5. USE GENEROUS AMOUNTS OF FEBREZE

Mom's old Christmas pillows, freshened up. Perfect for our couch!

Frost is frozen on our windowpanes. Orange peels and cinnamon are currently boiling on our stove (the mixture makes a great homemade potpourri...thanks for the tip mom-in-law!). Josh Groban and Brian McKnight's duet of "Angels We Have Heard on High" is on repeat in my headphones (still working on the husband's tolerance of Christmas music).

So yep! I'd say we have all the ingredients to have ourselves a "[festive] little Christmas, now."




No comments

Post a Comment

Karley with a K. Todos los derechos reservados. © Maira Gall.