Saturday, November 13, 2010

Fame + Fortune $$


**Edit: As promised, here is proof that yes…I have indeed “made it” in Hollywood. Thanks to pops, my #1/only fan for the screen shots!


- - -


I have recently come into a bit of celebrity. If you are interested in an autograph, feel free to approach me about it - if I’m feeling generous, I may say yes. Also, I’ve decided to start taking applications for a personal assistant. Because after my television debut on Monday, I’m sure that job offers will start blowing up my phone, and with all the red carpet appearances I’ll be making I feel that I’m going to need someone to pencil appointments onto my increasingly busy calendar.


Okay, real talk. I’m not a celebrity, but I definitely felt that I got the celebrity treatment this past Tuesday when I was an audience member at Rachael Ray’s “World’s Biggest Cooking Demonstration” (ever). Basically, a huge crew in LA beamed Rachael into the courtyard of Kodak Theater in Hollywood via satellite, where myself + 199 others cooked honey mustard chicken along with her New York studio audience and other participants all over the country. I ended up going to the filming with 3 of my sorority sisters, and it was an absolute blast. The event itself was amazing - aside from the fact that I had to meet up with the girls at 5:45 in order to get us from Malibu to Hollywood (with a brief pit stop at Starbucks) by our 7 am check-in time.


Honestly, I think all of our expectations for the filming were pretty low. But then again, maybe that’s what made everything seem so fabulous by comparison. 200 individual cooking stations were set up with all of the ingredients we needed to follow Rachael’s recipe. They filmed tons of shots of us clapping and going wild at our cooking stations (“more enthusiasm! make Rachael proud!”). The camera man did a few close-up shots of us, where of course we laughed with way more enthusiasm than anyone should naturally have for browning chicken.


The best part of the event, though, undoubtedly came at the end. Because you know how they say that “good things come to those who wait” and “blessed are the patient” and all that jazz? (okay, maybe that last one was a loose interpretation) - well, they aren’t lying. Because despite our low expectations for the event, we followed through and we showed up, and we had a BLAST - and to top the whole day off, we got free $150 dollar gift cards to Target…plus free parking validation.


Seriously, does it get any better than that? I think not. Pictures to come soon, so be looking for those and for the episode to air this Monday, November 15th on Rachael Ray’s talk show. But in the meantime, don’t forget: I’m always accepting rolling apps for that personal assistant position.


PS: here’s Rachael’s recipe for those of you who are into cooking. It was amazing! Definitely worth making if you’re trying to impress a boyfriend/boyfriend’s family. It’s easy and quick, but looks like it takes some serious effort.


Honey Mustard Chicken


Ingredients:


• 18 ounces chicken tenders, cut in half
• Salt and pepper
• 1 1/2 tablespoons EVOO, a couple of turns of the pan
• 3 tablespoons butter
• 2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced on an angle
• 1 large parsnip, peeled and thinly sliced on an angle
• 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
• 2 tablespoons flour
• 1 3/4 cups chicken stock
• 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
• About a 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
• About a 1/3 cup honey
• 2-3 tablespoons flat leaf parsley chopped, for garnish
• (have done and on serving plate) split corn muffin, cut side spread with a little butter then griddle until golden brown and toasted


Equipment:


• 4-quart dutch oven or deep skillet with a lid
• Large plastic cutting board (12” X 16”)
• Heat-proof tongs
• Large cooking spoon
• Large ladle
• Salad plate for chicken to rest on
• Oven mitt or towel
• Optional: Bench scrapers or food movers
• Plating: large shallow bowl or lipped dinner plate w muffin already toasted


Instructions:


Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat EVOO, a turn and a half of the pan, in a skillet with tight fitting lid over medium high heat. When oil is hot add chicken in single layer and cook to light golden in color, remove chicken to a plate and add butter to skillet and melt, add carrots, parsnips and shallots and season with salt and pepper. Cover pan and soften vegetables 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover pan and sprinkle in flour, stir 1 minute or so, stir in stock and season with Worcestershire sauce, mustard and honey, add the chicken back to the skillet and thicken sauce to coat spoon. Serve with griddled buttered corn muffin toasted on griddle pan. Garnish with parsley.

No comments

Post a Comment

Karley with a K. Todos los derechos reservados. © Maira Gall.